Monday, October 29, 2012

Coming-of-age

I've noticed that any time there is a teenage love story movie, it's oft times referred to as a "coming-of-age story."  That's funny to me.  Does that mean that to "come of age," you have to fall in love?  Does this mean that I've never come of age... Come of age for what?

A lot of times, I look at young love.  I look at teenagers and I see something that I never had.  I have to wonder if that's good or bad....is it ok?

So many people give me that line... "You should be happy you haven't given away your heart completely yet."

Maybe I will be happy about that when I meet him.  But, right now, I feel so dang old.  I feel too old to be coming of age.  I'm about to embark on an adventure so many dream of.  I'm about to embark on an adventure that I wouldn't be able to go on if I were married or in a serious relationship.  It's even on my DREAMS list from second year... Live in another country for more than 6 months.

What is it about life that makes us feel that we can't be youthful past a certain age?  That it is too late for us to experience things for the first time?

What is my story about to look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment